PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2019, 18:51
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737mgm
737 driver is obviously a professional pilot flying the 737. As a 737 NG Captain myself I can assure you he knows what he is talking about. He is an expert on the subject and the majority of the posters arguing with him are not. It is amazing and at the same time quite frustrating to observe the conviction with which people are stating their opinions on here even though they are actually clueless.
Instead of posting your ignorant armchair pilot comments, why don't you take some time to read up on the procedures to fly the 737. Read the official Boeing documents. Talk to 737 pilots and ask them how they are trained. Of course this will take a lot longer and require much greater effort than posting your oblivious comments but then you might be a little bit closer to actually being able to judge how these pilots performed.
I'm not a pilot, but also not clueless (having both an engineering and programming background), and having read all 4000 plus posts in this thread. My questions have not been about how to fly a B737, but how the MAX and MCAS actually work, with stuck high AOA data. No pilot on this forum has actually experienced this, either in person or in the simulator. I (and others) do not accept as verbatim truth, the system descriptions provided by such pilots, however experienced. The same applies even more to Boeing, who were evasive about the existence of MCAS, provided limited documentation, and have much to gain by shifting blame, and good (legal) reasons for not disclosing more details.

Only an independent engineering verification (not paper documents and diagrams) of the details of systems involved in the crashes, and of the proposed revisions to MCAS, will provide all the answers. My viewpoint has nothing to do with blame, just looking for the truth, which may take some time (years?). In the meantime any assertion that the pilots should have done X, can be countered by an assertion that perhaps the software or hardware did not allow that to happen. The same is true of any crash investigation, where both complex systems and human factors were involved.