PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2019, 17:26
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
I certainly did look at the ET 302 FDR readout, before posting my comment. The question is why did the pilot stop nose up trim inputs at 2.5 degrees? There were still considerable control column forces shown on the FDR. Why would any pilot only half trim out those forces, unless they were stopped by software or hardware? My question remains unanswered...
I had the exact same question when I first read the accident report. I spent a lot of time looking for evidence that the trim motor stalled or the trim switch wasn't working. However, none of the accident evidence or any historical data supports either of these conclusions.

One of the most telling pieces of evidence in this report, however, is that the Captain repeatedly tried to engage the automation (three times) in a situation that specifically precluded it. This is evidence of someone with a strong case of automation dependency. People with significant automation dependency also demonstrate a deterioration in basic hand-flying skills. Combine that with the startle effect and the distraction of the active stick shaker, it is entirely conceivable that the Captain suffered from cognitive overload and simply forgot to trim because it had never become a thoroughly engrained behavior.