PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2019, 17:11
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
I'm not sure what level of definitive proof you are looking for, however, if you look at the DFDR output in the ET302 preliminary report, you will see that the Captain was making stab trim inputs and the stab was indeed moving. If you look closely at about the 5:40:25 mark, you will even see a pilot nose up trim input that stopped and reversed the ongoing MCAS input. This is strong evidence that the system was working as designed. As previously mentioned, Speed Trim was not active after the flaps were retracted, nor were there any indications on the DFDR trace of any automatic trim inputs other than MCAS. The Elevator Feel Shift module may have been active thus increasing elevator control pressures, but that would have only accentuated the need to trim off the control pressures.

As I keep saying, there were multiple causes to these accidents. Design issues, oversight issues, maintenance issues, and training issues. However, there were also crew performance issues. They all need to be addressed.

I certainly did look at the ET 302 FDR readout, before posting my comment. The question is why did the pilot stop nose up trim inputs at 2.5 degrees? There were still considerable control column forces shown on the FDR. Why would any pilot only half trim out those forces, unless they were stopped by software or hardware? My question remains unanswered...