PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 23:10
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
Many pages back, in another thread LEOCh posted a schematic chart showing a nasty inflection between 10 and 15 degrees AOA, which is when MCAS kicks in. Once AOA is below 10 degrees, MCAS unwinds the nose-down trim (unless the pilots intervene with electrical trim inputs

Water pilot: #4242 My bold.
This seems like rather complex behavior for the pilots not to be informed about or trained on, especially in a plane that is not advertised as a fly by wire plane.
Water pilot continues below, but a point I've been wondering about for ages. MCAS winds back after it's done its thing? So little has been made of this - apart from me - that I wondered if I'd misunderstood. However, it seems that if the PF uses the electric trim, this will not happen. Since there was extensive use of the thumb switch trim, I guess this is why MCAS at no stage put things back where it found them. Erm, did it?

When exactly does MCAS start to unwind the trim and in the worst case scenario how much uncommanded nose down trim does the pilot have to unwind if they happen to have blipped the trim switch at the wrong point in the unwind scenario?
What a vital observation.

GordonR carries the logic forward in the next thread.