PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 17:14
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
Originally Posted by FullWings
What it screams to me is that the pilot(s) were so overloaded by control forces / stick shake / aural and visual warnings / general confusion that they had reverted to “pull back to make the houses look smaller” and had fixated on this due to saturation of their input channels. The trim running could well be the gorilla in the room, if you’ve seen the video.
Yes, I’ve seen the video, and yes I agree that it appears the Captain had achieved cognitive overload. Where I differ is that I feel the circumstances were not so extreme that cognitive overload would have been a reasonable expectation of a 737 type-rated Captain.

I used to do basic flight instruction, and I’ve seen many types of students. I would often tell them that flying an aircraft on a nice day really wasn’t that difficult once you had a little time under your belt, not too unlike learning to drive an automobile. The huge difference between a car and a plane, of course, is that you just can’t pull an aircraft over on the shoulder when things go wrong. You have to take whatever comes, work with whatever you have, and do your damnedest to get the aircraft safely back on the ground. I would tell my students that if they could not deal with that reality, then they should not become a pilot.

As professional pilots, we ought to meet an even much higher standard. When things started to go wrong, at least one of these pilots needed to look past the noise, place their hands firmly on the yoke and throttles, set the proper attitude and power settings, keep the aircraft in trim, and stay away from the rocks. That was all that was required. Everything else could have waited. The plane wasn’t on fire, the wing didn’t fall off, there were no bombs on board. This plane was flyable.

Yes, Boeing fracked up. Yes, the FAA and the airlines were culpable of going along with the fiction that the MAX wasn’t really that much different from the NG. But you know what? On any given day someone else could screw up and give us an aircraft that will malfunction in a unique and potentially dangerous way. And as always, the pilots are the last line of defense. We need to be mentally prepared for that reality or find another line of work.

Last edited by 737 Driver; 23rd Apr 2019 at 17:16. Reason: typo