PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 11:48
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchad
came across this thread, relevant quote from it below. Obviously no way of knowing if genuine or not, but given what else has been posted on the difficulty of operating the manual trim wheel, it does sound plausible.

Shutdown caused Boeing crash. - Page 4 - International Skeptics Forum

Quote...

"I agree it's a flawed design. And I used to work there. I'm glad I don't now.

Regarding the trim wheels: When the NG was being introduced, I happened to be the Lead Engineer in charge of them and a whole lot of other stuff. There were some issues. The new display system created a pinch point between the dash and the wheel. We had to make the wheel smaller. And the new trim motor resulted in the wheel, which is directly connected to the stabilizer by a long cable, springing back when electric trim was used. It was an undamped mass on the end of a spring. We had to add a damper.
Result: Depending on the flight conditions, the force to manually trim can be extremely high. We set up a test rig and a very fit female pilot could barely move it.
As I said, I'm glad I'm no longer there."

Alchad
Posted a few (hundred?) pages back in this thread: https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/619272-ethiopian-airliner-down-africa.html#post10438165