PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 02:57
RatherBeFlying

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Some decades ago I spent several sessions in a Viscount simulator (with a variety of abilities in the other seat) run by a serial killer who diligently added failures until a simulated smoking hole was commonly produced. You learned prioritization or got snuffed.

These days it seems simulator time is too expensive for crews to really get to know the airplane.

And now we see Boeing trying to put out a model that earlier model crew can step into without any simulator time.

I am reminded of the time as a 12 year old on my bike racing another kid downhill on a suburban street. Kids were playing jump rope on the other side. Half the street was clear. No problem. Then a kid began running across our side of the street. He'd be across the street by the time we got there. No problem. Then the kid stopped when he saw us. Lots of room between him and the curb. No problem.

Then the kid started running again when I was maybe ten feet away

It turned out he had a history of getting hit by bikes and the odd car.

The start / stop cycles of MCAS remind me of this kid. The crews got painted into a corner. Stick shaker and airspeed disagree distracted them from the real problem until it was too late. It definitely didn't help that the underfloor trim cutout switch no longer blocked automatic trim.

There's still an open question on the ergonomics of the control wheel trim switches when the stick shaker is operating. I suspect that the electrical contact has to be maintained for a minimum period (perhaps sub-second) for the relay to begin driving the trim motor. How much pressure is required to sustain the electric contact when stick shaker is operating?