PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 14:20
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn
OK, first: I'm not a pilot, I'm a functional safety engineer, mostly working for automotive.
Second: I read this thread from the beginning and learned a lot, thanks!

But I think I can explain one tendency which went up:
Pilots blame the pilots, engineers blame the Boeing engineers.
Good point. I also read this thread from the beginning and, to add another data point to the tendency you noticed, I'm a software engineer and I tend to blame Boeing more than the pilots. Boeing's attitude after the Lion Air accident contributed to that. If they didn't try to downplay the gravity of experiencing an incorrect MCAS activation, I would have probably been more sympathetic towards them.

Just like there seems to be a deficit of pilots in the aviation world, I think that generally there is a deficit of good software developers, and it's getting worse. I think the quality of software took a nosedive during the last decade. Software from a decade ago was way more polished than what I see today, and this is very frustrating.

Sure, just as the safety of air travel is getting better and better, a lot of lessons have been learned from the past in the software industry, and some types of bugs and quality issues are becoming less and less frequent. But there seems to be a lot less attention to detail, and I find it unbelievable that large software companies repeatedly release software products with significant bugs, that should are obvious to anyone after only a few minutes of using the product.

And I don't think it's just the deficit of good software developers causing this. I see a variety of other factors contributing to the decline in the quality of software, for example a tendency to spend less on quality assurance, and relying more and more on the end users to find and report quality issues with the software products. I hoped this trend would affect mostly regular consumer products, and not software that is critical for safety, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, some recent examples being the Tesla self driving car software, and possibly MCAS.

Anyway, back to the MCAS topic, I watched Mentour's recent video about being unable to trim manually at high speeds when the aircraft is severely out of trim. One thing that surprised me is that the simulator, which Mentour described as: "this is a level D FFS. That’s as real as it gets", is not able to replicate a stabilizer runaway similar to an incorrect MCAS activation, the runaway stabilizer failure is not able to bring the trim to full AND.

I guess the reason the simulated failure is not able to apply more AND trim is that it simulates something similar to stuck yoke trim switches. In such a situation, after reaching about 4 units with the flaps retracted, the trim limit switches would activate. That would prevent the trim from going lower than 4 units. I think that's why they have to trim manually the wrong way in the video, to try to simulate a worse mistrim, similar to that experienced by the Lion Air and Ethiopian pilots, because the simulator doesn't seem to be able do that.

If that's the case, I'm even more annoyed by Boeing's initial response that the pilots they should have just applied the runway stabilizer procedure. If the simulators are not able to replicate a mistrim as severe as one caused by a malfunctioning MCAS, clearly the existing simulator training for a stabilizer runaway failure is not entirely adequate for dealing with an MCAS induced trim runaway.