PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 14:07
Smythe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: As MCAS was an option for other 737 variants
Can you expand on that? Have any (non-Max) 737 operators opted for MCAS on their aircraft? Why would they need it?
In reading through the volumes of data, on AoA...I did read where it was either offered or going to be offered on the entire 737 line. I dont know if and when it was offered. The issue of the vortex tabs was included in this explanation. It may be when they were trying to get rid of the tail tabs, but unclear when it stated vortex tabs, which ones they were talking about.
Perhaps they were just going to offer MCAS for stall protection, I dont know. Now that the internet is inundated with information on this, it will have to dig to find this.

MCAS is standard on the 767 tanker, but is different..this seems to be a much better system , 2 sensors, and disco on pilot input.
The KC-46 uses a similar system because the weight and balance of the tanker shifts as it redistributes and offloads fuel. The KC-46 has a two-sensor MCAS system, which “compares the two readings,” the Air Force said.
Moreover, while the MAX 8 MCAS will reset and come back on automatically, the KC-46’s system is “disengaged if the pilot makes a stick input,” according to the Air Force. “The KC-46 has protections that ensure pilot manual inputs have override priority.”