PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2019, 03:12
NaFenn

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The biggest mistake you can make is by assuming "if i go to a university I will get a job, and they will do everything for me".

I wont mention any names, but it is on your list. I was an instructor working for a flight training organisation that provided flight instruction to a university. I have never seen a higher drop out rate than this particular university course compared to every other type of course (private and airline cadets). Primarily this came down to student input - as a lot could not wrap their head around the whole "50% is not even close to a pass" philosophy of aviation.

Having said that, i am aware of several very good quality students that came from this particular university because they worked their asses off during the 2 year theory and flying phase of the course. Because of their hard work and efforts many of them are now in airline positions or with reputable general aviation or flight training organisations building hours.

The best advice i can give you is: Do you want a pilots license or a degree? if you are after the license you will be far better off going through a Flight training organisation with Fee help (But do your research on them too), it will cost you far less and if you are ready to put the work in you will get through it quicker. If you want a degree be ready to pay a premium for it. The university that i was involved in as an instructor used to charge nearly 100 dollars per hour on top of the aircraft training cost that was being charged to private students, and students usually wound up needing additional training hours (paid out of pocket) because of the part time nature of the course (they would fly 2-3 times per week on average during a flying phase, where private and airline students would fly 5-10 times per week).