PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 05:15
golder

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know where the disagreement is LO? I assume like Sweetman, that you agree the 5th gen system is going to get first look, first shoot on the SU-35. F22/F-35 have the SA of the battlespace and the SU is at a loss. You also say there is the Meteor, as an example of a BVR missile that is going on the F-35. You do disagree with Sweetman's opinion, that the SU will dodge all the Meteor/AIM-120D and other missiles and get WVR. Is it daytime or night time, are we offensive or defensive?? It really was a big ask. They could also have off-board missiles from other platforms both air and on surface, like the SM-6 available in the battlespace.

I know the RAAF said some years ago. That they had the SU covered with the FA-18F system, because of radar and the AIM-120C7 etc. So I'm not too concerned with the F-35. With more advanced missiles and the system Jericho etc.

What is available says the AIM-120D is a viable BVR missile. Australia must think so, we are buying 450 at A$1.6B of the AIM-120D. If the Meteor pans out, we do buy European missiles too. The ASRAAM for example.

An example of what is said on military sites on the AIM-120D
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...e-east-040010/
Pentagon documents confirm the use of smaller system components; with an upgraded radar antenna, receiver & signal processor; GPS-aided mid-course navigation; an improved datalink; and new software algorithms. The new hardware and software offers improved jamming resistance, better operation in conjunction with modern AESA radars, and an improved high-angle off-boresight “seeker cone,” in order to give the missile a larger no-escape zone. Less-publicized improvements reportedly include a dual-pulse rocket motor, for up to 50% more range and better near-target maneuvering.

Last edited by golder; 21st Apr 2019 at 12:21.