PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA A321 takes off after smashing ground sign
Old 18th Apr 2019, 21:05
pattern_is_full

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Reluctant Bus Driver
What was the cause of the BA Airbus out of Gibraltar doing the " wing walk"?
Some months ago I was landing a 319 and it started doing that over the numbers. Wind was not a factor and I'm pretty sure I didn't start it. Almost went around before it settled down. Wondering if experienced Airbus pilots can chime in if they have had similar experiences. Kinda hard for me to believe, not knowing all the facts, that the JFK incident could have been pilot induced.
Aviation Herald reports this from a passenger - whom they contacted and received documentation from that she was aboard.

"I was aboard this aircraft. The take off was fast, rather quick and felt short. Then we pitched down and banked right (left wing up) and then left (right wing up) and the back felt to skid out sideways, I was in the window seat just behind the left wing. Then it felt like the pilot pulled the aircraft up manually. He continued to make very strong left and right banks while in the air before we circled back to JFK. He made an announcement that we had a major computer failure, but that he had control of the airplane and that we'll be making an emergency landing. I watched the metal flap (runway sign) above the windg the whole 43 mins we were in the air.
Accident: American A321 at New York on Apr 10th 2019, wingtip strike and collision with runway sign during departure

I'm agnostic as to 1) crosswind or 2) Airbus software glitch, combined perhaps with PIO in response or 3) wake turbulence or 4) something else. They have all occurred at one time or another, and it won't astound me if any particular one is identifed as the cause or a factor, eventually.