PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2019, 15:43
stewyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SotonFlightpath
I really don’t know why so many people on the forum are so keen to see SOU develop into just another regional airport. As I have mentioned before, SOU is very, very different from most other regionals, and is located in a very geographically-challenging location. It is a largely urban/suburban area, hemmed-in by industrial sites, high density housing, a railway works which is growing rather than declining, a railway depot, a station and a motorway. It is actually within the town of Eastleigh, and well within the contiguous built-up Southampton/Solent area. Nearby Portsmouth is the most densely-populated built-up area in the UK – even greater than central London, and Southampton just to the south of the airport is the third most densely-populated area. In such a location, any expansion is likely to be unpopular.

The South Hampshire Metropolitan area has a combined population of over 1.5 million, It is the most populated part of south east England, excluding London, making it the most densely populated region in the UK. As such, I have always considered SOU as a regional version of LCY. Not withstanding the uncertainty with Flyby/Connect, SOU’s essential role will always be frequent, domestic and short haul European traffic primarily for the business market – operated by small aircraft. These kind of routes have always been reasonably profitable, as they can operate with fuel/cost-efficient turboprops and a relatively high fare can be charged for the convenience of flying from a local airport. Indeed, the business community has always appreciated the quick ‘breeze-through’ approach to flying from SOU because it is a small airport!

There will always be a market for a limited number of sun routes/ski routes etc., and the importance of the Channel Island business can never be underestimated. But, even if the runway extension happens, I firmly believe that the requirements for the low-cost/holiday/package business can be far better served at Bournemouth.
You do realise your facts and figures around conurbation size are exactly the reason for a low cost base to utilise SOU. The potential footfall is huge, add that to excellent transport links and you have a viable product to serve a selection of european financial districts and capital cities with a few sun routes added in. London’s airports are at bursting point with over capacity, hence SOU want to get in on the act asap and leave BOH to pick up the bucket and spade brigade.