PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eco Warriors Threaten To Shut Down Heathrow
Old 18th Apr 2019, 15:26
threep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember years ago a journalist on Newsnight did an experiment where he tried to reduce his carbon footprint. It took place over the course of a year and the segment was called "Ethical Man". His family car was taken away for the year and the whole family had to use public transport, or bike or go on foot. They changed their energy supplier for a green tariff, replaced all the light bulbs with low energy versions (the norm now), improved insulation, turned the heating down a couple of degrees, looked to install a wind turbine (didn't pan out), sourced local food where possible to reduce food miles etc. In short they did everything that could reasonably be expected a private individual could do consistent with their current standard of life. They also did not take any short-haul flights during that period. They managed to reduce their carbon emissions by 20%. What I remember clearly is after end of the experiment, he and his family went off for a well deserved holiday in the Caribbean. The carbon emissions for that single long haul trip offset the entire carbon emissions they had saved during the experiment.

So whilst most of us agree that we need to reduce carbon emissions to stop the harmful effects of global warming, I'm not sure that many are willing to make the sacrifices that would be needed.