PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2019, 15:10
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
Great, well not why not just answer the question? I also fly jet transport category aircraft. Now, the reason I asked is that there seems to be a rough split, in that actual pilots seem to be more likely to be critical of the crews actions whereas the non pilots, indeed non aviation posters, seem to be blaming Boeing more. I find this interesting.

I am not a pilot, but having followed this thread (and others) very carefully, there seems to be not just a simple split, but a culture-gulf spanning a broad spectrum. Excuse the bluntness, but it may help emphasize the polarisation:
1. Anything that happened was entirely the fault of the 3rd world pilots, and our glorious Boeing is perfect (the "Trump" option).
2. Boeing made a boo-boo, but any half-competent pilot could easily have recovered the situation, and this would never have happened to my airline.
3. Boeing made a very serious error, but the pilots should have done better, and could have recovered the situation.
4. There is a chain of errors, from Boeing, the FAA , the documentation and pilots training, all of which need remediation.
5. Boeing is a criminal enterprise, and entirely responsible (the "Ralph Nader" option).

Fortunately in most posts on this informed but open forum, the extreme options do not come up. However, it is sometimes hard to distinguish the nuances between the remaining human-factors arguments, without lengthy examination of the whole decision making tree.