PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2019, 15:56
armchairpilot94116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmx
Generally sensible post, however, it is absolutely reasonable to ask whether pilot skill / training was a factor.

The LionAir pre accident crew defused the situation with the help of a jump seat pilot. Once they had the aircraft under control, they re-enabled electric trim only to discover it attempting to nose the plane down again, before disabling it again and flying manually to destination.

That crew defeated AoA-failure-induced MCAS twice, not once.

One lesson which the industry has to learn from this is that all flight crews must know how to restore orderly flight and disable all automation in the case of misbehaving flight control systems. If that's not possible, the cockpit is no longer a place for human beings.
I , for one, don't want to fly in a plane flown by HAL. Someone previously said something about a big switch that turns Everything Automatic OFF and leaves the pilots in charge. This could work well provided pilots are well trained and have not been worked to fatigue and have plenty of hand flying experience that is kept up to date and all the systems of the aircraft still work at the pilots command. Trying to trim by hand being shown to be not effective (to put it lightly) as an example.

We have unmanned drones that are commanded from the ground. I don't want to fly in a unmanned drone flown by someone on the ground either. So let's get pilots working with all the tools available with a big ALL AUTOMATICS OFF switch but all flight controls , gauges, etc all working. Let's keep the pilots well practiced and well trained.

Better than HAL. At least until we fly regularly into SPACE because manual flight won't really be possible. When we do NYC to TOKYO in 90 mins by flying into space, pilots may still be in the cockpit but they probably will be pushing buttons . Me thinks.