PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2019, 09:15
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever;
I personally think that playing the safety card is just an excuse for inaction. A robust gliding program where Air Cadets get to fly solo is totally doable If there is the organizational will to make it happen
The only 'will' I see in the Air Cadets is for: endless grip-and-grin moments; rolling-out kids to stand at rugby matches, funerals, etc; adult staff (sorry CFAV) more focussed on themselves than the cadets; big 'super-camps' that have an air of exclusivity; Air Cadet choirs, orchestras etc (one presumes to stroke egos at big-wig functions); Total Safety gone mad, with hierarchy not actually knowing what Total Safety means; MBA style Performance Indicators that reach down to squadron level; civil servants who are not serving; Wing/Regional HQs and HQAC who regularly forget that they are the supporting element and not the supported; a half-hearted commitment to reduce admin burden that has completely failed to reduce; more grip-and-grins.

I see very little aviation minded structure - one just need to look at the Progressive Training Syllabus. A reminder, the aims of the ATC:

To promote and encourage among young men and women a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force (RAF). To provide training which will be useful in both the services and civilian life. To foster a spirit of adventure and to develop the qualities of leadership and good citizenship.
Dear Comdt Air Cadets, how are you performing against the primary aim? Why don't you try and get aviation back to the forefront and spend less time of the pink-and-fluffy non-aviation stuff that is tweeted every few hours?

PS. Despite the rant, I still have huge amounts of time for the kids we help develop. It just annoys me that the organisation has evolved into a blue-suit version of the Scouts (who I admire) and has lost/is losing it's raison d'être.