PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:44
threemiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Takwis
Stabilizer trim was not mentioned in my MAX training at all. The labels, or functions, of the cutout switches were not mentioned or noticed.

I am re-watching all the videos, now, to make sure I didn't miss something.

Further Editing:
Aircraft Exterior: 8" longer nose strut, Bigger engines, gross weight limitations, tailskid, dual strobes on tailcone.
Flight Instruments and displays: 35 slides about the new, larger displays.
System Differences: HGS, Navigation, Anti-Ice, Air Conditioning, APU, Engines, FLIGHT CONTROLS, FBW (spoilers, speedbrakes, LAM, Ground Spoiler Control Module), fuel system, Landing Gear, Speedbrake light.

Of those the Flight Controls are the relevant section. Under Flight Controls are:
Slides of the new "Spoilers" malfunction light on the overhead panel, and the new Elevator Jam Landing Assist panel, with a light and a guarded switch.

Wrap up: Vertical Situation Display, N1 bugs, Engine Start, New Alert Lights.

That's it. NO MENTION OF ANY CHANGES TO TRIM, TRIM SWITCHES, TRIM SWITCH LABELS OR FUNCTIONS. Or MCAS.
Which means, pilots did not know about the revised trim cutout switches functionality on the MAX?

What does PRI and B/U mean? Would putting PRI to off and B/U on leave MCAS engaged?

Coming from the NG the F/O may have tried to switch off autopilot stab trim only, leaving electrical manual trim to counter MCAS?