PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:34
Just This Once...

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wonkazoo
I've been mostly silent on this thread...

You 737 drivers out there: If you are clocking 320KIAS and you try to use the trim- will it work if you are somewhat mis-trimmed nose-down?? 300KIAS?? 310KIAS?? Where and when does your trim tab become teh hammer nailing the lid shut on your coffin?? I am stunned to see here that people are not discussing this more. MCAS is an abomination, but alone it is simple stupidity. An Airplane that has an envelope within the normal operating range wherein trim will no longer not only be detrimental, it will me immovable...Really??
Your break from cover is appreciated as there are too few of us posting on this thread with astonishment that the manual and electric trim performance envelop is not defined for the 737 NGs that are still out there flying today.

All we have is a statement from EASA noting that the electric trimmers don't work in part of the performance envelop, complete with a reply from Boeing to say it is 'feature' and that manual trim remains available throughout the envelope. Of course, we now know that Boeing's statement to EASA was a falsehood known to Boeing for decades. If Boeing had answered the question correctly then, just maybe, these accidents may never have occurred.

But that would have deprived so many from the opportunity to blame fellow pilots who really didn't want to die or experienced the pain, fear and anguish trapped in those final frantic moments.

RIP guys - many of us do respect the price you paid and hope that aviation does re-learn the terrible lessons of a corrupted certification process that put the manufacturer above the regulator.