PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA axe 7100+ MAX flights from 2019 schedule
Old 14th Apr 2019, 01:39
ph-sbe

Originally Posted by Superpilot View Post
Even my GP was the other day describing with great accuracy the “poor engineering” of the latest 737.

Each one covering in detail MCAS and the fact that Boeing clumsily use a single AoA.
One might argue that if the engineering is so poor that even your GP can make well-founded comment on it, the engineering was indeed.... rather poor.

However, as with many aviation incidents, the industry is once again using this to get better. The all-too-comfy relationship between manufacturers and certification authorities are exposed by the media, and rightfully so. The poor engineering is being addressed and serves, unfortunately once again, as a reminder that redundancy is necessary on passenger aircraft.

Personally I would have no problem to fly the MAX in the future. Not so much because because I'm a B-fanboy, but because they learned a very, very expensive lesson (both in terms of lives lost as well as monetary damage), which makes this lesson one they will not forget any time soon.

In a different career I once observed a mechanic making a very expensive mistake, causing a small manufacturing company tens of thousands of dollars. He thought he was going to get fired, but his boss saw it from a different angle. The company just paid for a very expensive lesson, so the mechanic was now worth more than before as it is highly unlikely that he would ever make that mistake again. Obviously in a company like Boeing this does not translate 1:1 as eventually the bean-counters will take over again. But for now, engineer depts will have a bit of leverage against their bean-counter counterparts in their wishes to provide quality, not cheap products.