PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2019, 15:29
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
While I completely agree with Pobjoy on technical issues and the direction that would be best for air cadet gliding we have to face the fact that the the world has moved on and the public perception of risk has changed from an acceptance that risk is part of life to an almost fanatical attitude that there should be no risk in life and this should be assured by someone in charge.

Like Pobjoy I can remember that days when people realized that life was risk filled and it was a personal responsibility to manage that risk, unfortunately we have moved on to a culture that thinks risk is someone else’s responsibility and there are the ambulance chasing lawyer to back up this perseption. This is the world that the RAF have to work with and the current policy towards air cadet gliding has to be seen in this light when managing air cadet flying safely.

I would suggest that Canadian and British parents have similar levels of risk tolerance for the safety of their children. So why can't the British Air Cadets basically give any of their cadets a meaningful "air" experience when the Canadian Air cadet organization manages to give around 300 cadets a full Transport Canada Glider Pilot License every year ? The Canadian Air Cadet program also has a robust program of air experience flights in gliders for the younger air cadets.

I personally think that playing the safety card is just an excuse for inaction. A robust gliding program where Air Cadets get to fly solo is totally doable If there is the organizational will to make it happen