PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beaver on floats lands in a Fijian cane field
Old 10th Apr 2019, 13:57
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Oh I know it gets done Megan, it's just that one should not take away the impression that this is a daily activity, it is done with great caution, when there is no alternative. As the past pilot for a maintenance organization where we did dozens of annual float changeovers, I would have never landed a client's airplane on our grass (we were on the shore of a lake). I could not explain to the client why I did that. For airports with not water access, there would be no choice, but I would expect that it would be the aircraft owner choosing to land on the grass, not the maintainer's pilot. I have done a grass landing, I have never done a dolly takeoff. We discussed doing it once, but we all agreed it was not worth the risk, and took the aircraft a long way over land to the water instead. Like many things in flying, yes, it is possible, but the risks are higher, and the training is less available, is it worth trying when there is a safer alternative?