PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google's Project Loon
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2019, 03:12
Ascend Charlie

Received 203 Likes on 92 Posts
The tyranny of distance.

When I moved to a newly-built suburb in 2007, where the power, telephone and services are underground, I mistakenly hoped that there would be cables also for the cable TV.

Bong. Wrong.

For Pay TV, it is a dish on the roof.
When I went to T3lstr@ to get the landline connected, I was told that ADSL internet was not available over the new wires - too far from some base station. Some dial-up was available, so I used that until eventually got ADSL 1. Dismal speeds, poor service with dropouts on a regular basis.

Fast forward 10 years, still on ADSL 1. Then along comes NBN and tells me of their wondrous abilities - but they still use the same crappy copper wires to the hub as I was on before. And there is a distance limit of 800m, at which it pretty much can't push through the copper. I live around 700m from the nearest hub. The service will still be rubbish.

So, I cancelled my landline, work only off mobile phones, and for internet I get a signal radiated from my neighbour, who has a dish pointing at the base a few km away, and there it goes straight into the fibre. I pay for 45 down and 5 up, and usually get 60 to 80 down and 50 up.