PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 9th Apr 2019, 19:18
YYZjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From (only) a private pilot. I find prose descriptions of technical systems hard to follow, and prefer diagrams, schematics and flowcharts. I still do not fully understand the pitch control on 737 NGs and MAXs. The following diagram helped me, but likely contains errors and misunderstandings. Comments would be appreciated.

1. Does the autopilot operating in "normal" flight mode (excluding its STS and Mach Trim trimming) move the elevators or the stabilizer?

2. Does flipping the CUTOUT switch terminate the autopilot's control of the elevators or just its control of the stabilizaer jackscrew?

3. I have read about a "hidden" switch somewhere on the back of the center console that did something on the NG, but has been removed on the MAX. What is it?

4. I have read that the First Officer's trim switch is actually a pair of switches. If true, do the separate switches do different things?

5. I have read that the MAX has an automatic Elevator Jam Landing Assist system which manipulates the spoilers to assist in pitch control. The EJLA looks after things when the flaps are deployed; the MCAS looks after things when they're not. Hmmm. I wonder if there is an unintended software interaction?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
737 pitch control.pdf (42.9 KB, 36 views)