PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2019, 20:34
ams6110

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TryingToLearn
I fully agree, as an example the automotive functional safety process has the following steps:
-> Hazard & Risk analysis
-> Functional safety concept
-> Technical system safety concept
-> System achitecture
-> Technical Software Safety concept
-> Software architecture
-> fine design
-> implementation (code writing)
-> Module test
-> SW integration test
-> System integration test
-> System test
-> Vehicle Integration test
It is recommended to write technical safety documents in formal language to exclude misinterpretation. Implementation is less than 10% of the work. Toolchain qualification is also an important part of the process. Even the best compiler may cause errors if the memory module within the programmer's laptop has defective bits... (Yes, it already happened).
All documents are to be reviewed, accessed, there are walkthrough meetings and so on. All requirements need to have verification criteria specified together with the requirement and test cases are later based on there criteria... Within accessments, certain levels of safety require a certain independence between accessor and author (other team, department, division, company...).

Safe code can be done and if this was skipped just because one feared a diagnosis (AoA disagree), reaction (deactivate MCAS) and pilot teaching (continue flying, you probably never need MCAS anyway), this is a violation of safety culture beyond my imagination.
Fun fact: Emission standards for cars (onboard diagnosis 2) require 2 out of 2 for every sensor which may cause the violation of emission standards (ULEV, EU6...) and the engine control light on disagree. Seems like this is more important than a few hundred airplane passengers...
And yet Tesla, an automotive company which presumably follows this process, still has an "auto pilot" software function that on more than one occasion drove a car into a stationary object at 70mph.

I would have little doubt that the software people at Boeing know how to develop software for any level of assurance needed. The question is why was MCAS not seen as a "critical" system?