PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2019, 19:12
fergusd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
I spent a large part of my career deep in mainframe Assembler applications and operating systems. A lot of it was really good and some was absolutely dreadful.

The principal determinant of success was elegance (or lack thereof) in design.

Same applies to C, C++ and all the wonderful new development environments that these days are proliferating faster than I can keep count. You may as well be in the fashion industry as bleeding edge IT.

Likely the A & B folk are sticking to well understood and proven development environments that are behind the times.
Simplicity, understandability and testability . . . and these days provability.

Modern safety standards strictly limit the use of assembler, because it meets none of the criteria above at all.

C is going the same way on some of those criteria IMHO especially as software complexity inevitably increases, C++ with very strict limitations (basically like very strongly typed C) has many things going for it with appropriate mitigations.

I don't think anybody would consider what I describe as anything other than archaic in terms of modern software development, about as far away from fashionable as it's possible to get.

;-)

Fd