PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2019, 18:54
TachyonID

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWA Training Requirements

Originally Posted by 1066
If it is true that SWA were a major push for the common type rating for the Max, (comments somewhere above in this thread that SWA could be in line for $1m per aircraft ordered if sim time was required for Max conversion), SWA were consistent with the way they influenced the introduction of the NG again with the intention of a common type rating for the NG and the 'classic' 300/400. I understand that the NG could have had a flight deck much like the 747-400 but this was ruled out to ensure the common type rating.
I'm not blaming SWA for any part in these two accidents but I think their part, as a very large customer, in the development of the 737 is relevant.

Well, one of the "lined up holes in the cheese" here will undoubtedly be the question of which parties provided fiscal incentives to cut corners.
As an aero engineer, I'm appalled at Boeing's response. It is after all their design.
As a pilot, I'm disappointed in the design decisions that led to this point.
As a stakeholder in the aviation industry, though, we'll eventually get to the question of whether the industry leaders with the purse strings applied too much pressure that rippled through some bad decision making. If SWA offered $1M per plane to "not need additional simulator time"... well it will get interesting.