PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing advice on "aerodynamically relieving airloads" using manual stabilizer trim
Old 8th Apr 2019, 11:03
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derfred
Great point PJ.

In addition to awareness of the number of manual turns required per unit of trim, I noted with interest in one of Mentour’s YouTube videos the difference in ability between him and the RHS pilot when it came to rotating the wheel.

He did it easily and rapidly while simultaneously pulling control column back pressure. But the RHS pilot had considerable difficulty.

There is obviously “technique” involved, which may come with practice.

Manual trimming is not regularly practiced in my airline... I think I’ve tried it once in the type rating.
As an engineer I would note that unless two hands are used (which was tried in the now deleted video) the LHS pilot is going to be using their right hand while the RHS pilot is using their left - if both pilots are right handed, then LHS will find it easier.

However, in the Mentour video I think you are referring to, there is probably another factor at work:
- when they cut the switches they are out of trim, so it's hard to turn due to airload
- it becomes easier when both pilots join in
- as they get back in trim you can see it moves more easily
- when Mentour is trimming on his own it is after they have got back in trim and in fact he says "just minor adjustments"
- this is easily done because they are back in trim (or nearly)

But like I say, that's an engineering take on it, pilot opinions may vary.