PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankruptcy in Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2019, 12:59
8 Head In The Clouds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hellenic aviator
Firstly, sorry to hear about your 'syndrome'. Nobody can understand what you're going through till they've personally experienced it, unfortunately.

A few things to note:

a) It is not considered illegal to avoid paying your debts except for any owed taxes. It may be considered 'immoral' by others and advised as per Pogie to 'suck it up and pay your debts like a grown up', however, it is not illegal. Only YOU know whether you can afford to pay any bank debt incrementally or nothing at all after 'having done the sums'.

b) Your issue of owing banks an outstanding debt will turn into a civil case however unless you have broken any laws of Hong Kong then you won't be held at Immigration either entering or exiting on a Gen Dec.

3) Speaking about Gen Dec; if you recall, they (Immigration) still tick you off as you enter Hong Kong. It is still 'old fashioned' in comparison say to Australia, U.S. or other countries. However, the time shall come (eventually) whereby Hong Kong will become computerised.

As far as declaring bankruptcy, prudence would dictate to consult a bankruptcy lawyer(if you are able to afford at least 30 minutes consultation) or do some research on the internet and ascertain the consequences of declaring bankrupt. E.g. How will it affect your credit record in Sydney should you require to obtain a personal loan in the future - the consequences if Experian or Equifax obtaining information.

Hellenic Aviator,

Thank you for your measured and well put response. I appreciate it. Also for the understanding.

I did consult a Bankruptcy Lawyer in HK in 2015 and another here in Sydney in 2017. Both pretty much said what you did. I should just pay you 👍🏻😀.

I tried to get a loan for a car in 2017 and was knocked back simply because of my outgoings to Child Support, Spousal Maintenance, big legal fees. It was fortunately nothing to do with the situation in HK.

I am not proud of the fact I have this unpaid debt, I am a pretty decent guy and it bothers me, I really did try sort it and I truly do not have the money to repay it.

I was married when I was younger and my first wife and I divorced due to my chosen career, but no kids involved there. Then this with my 2nd wife and it been nothing but a nightmare.... 6 years of hell.

I have had a fleet transfer and will occasionally fly into HK. This is why this has all surfaced.

Well here is hoping the debt gets discharged.

Thanks Hellenic Aviator.