PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 14:52
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
So we're test pilots too now? No mention anywhere by Boeing of keeping the speed down, these guys were probably totally focussed on the MCAS issue, not your bog-standard UAS/80%. Ask yourself: when did you last pull off a handful of thrust at 1000ft above ground, straight after takeoff with the stick shaker going?
The last time I pulled a handful of power 1000ft-ish from the ground with stickshaker going was probably the last time I got one in the sim - as I accelerated towards flap limiting speed having already determined on which side the error lay, with correct pilot flying and confidence in my airspeed. How 'bout you?

You must know by now that MCAS didn't (couldn't) start it's tricks until flap was retracted...er...don't you?
Question is, would Test Pilot Bloggs actually retract flap in that situation? Even if you were climbing to 4-5000agl to complete the troubleshooting what would you be doing with the power at that point? Leaving it at climb thrust like these guys? Climbing at 200Kts, Flap 5 at 6000fpm and a pitch angle of 15degrees, with a stickshalker going???? But they were flying level-ish, not climbing!
Does Boeing actually need to tell you that?

See my post #3515 above...

Last edited by meleagertoo; 6th Apr 2019 at 15:21.