PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2019, 01:25
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm trying to read every post, so forgive if covered...

I'm not sure how microscopically detailed the data readouts are, but re the two blips of ANU which were not continued - Is it conceivable that PF was alarmed at the momentary high g due to excessive speed?

Over the last weeks I've not really been able to assess the captain's likely abilities during what must have been very demanding moments. Even gums has said he's not sure he'd have cottoned on to what was going on right away. I can well imagine the shaker, plus speed etc., causing the STS movements to blur with the intermittent MCAS rotations.

A recent poster mentioned a blip about every ten knots to counter the STS. That surprised me and shows the perfectly normal activity of the wheel in this phase.

As one who loved things going TU to make the day more interesting, I have to confess my 25 minutes with the stick-shaker going at 2000' in inky black chop really tested my ability to shut out what we quickly deemed to be a false warning. It was as though the warning was fighting to get past all reasoning. I recall my concentration giving an element of tunnel vision. I'm told it's a bog-standard human reaction but I doubt it would cut out the white patch of the wheel flashing by.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 6th Apr 2019 at 01:44.