PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 13:07
JesusonAHarley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does ANU stop at 2.3?

I usually don't contribute anything to a discussion, preferring to listen more to what everyone has to say. This is reflected in my posts on here too, which are non-existent. However, I have been following this thread very keenly and am very grateful to all the amazing insights and points of view provided. I'm a NG/Max driver and coincidentally, flew a Max on both the crash days.

Generally, my attitude towards any incident / accident is "They should have done this. But, I wasn't in that hot seat. Maybe I would've done the same". However, I've been struggling a lot trying to get that attitude and the posts on here have helped. Especially the ones which have been downright condescending of the operating crew. They have helped me get my perspective.

One thing that I have noticed in the preliminary report of the ET is that the pilot ANU stopped at exactly 2.3 units on three separate occasions. The first one was a shallow pick-up after the first MCAS activation. The second one was a more agressive pick-up immediately following the second MCAS activation, suggesting that the pilot(s) now knew what they were dealing with. As soon as the ANU stopped at 2.3 units, FO asked if he should cut-off the stab trim. The third was when they, presumably, reactivated the stab-trim to get some leverage with the electric trim and ended up with short bursts, instead of a long ANU activation.

With discounts given to adrenalin not allowing you to feel the AND for the first one and coincidence being the second, the third ANU also stopping at 2.3, suggests there was something else at play and not merely pilots not knowing how much to trim. The clue is provided in the timing of the FO suggestion for stab-trim cut-off.

Or am I reading too much?