PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 09:09
ecto1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fizz57
Disagree. May address the issues that caused the latest accident, but contradicts the entire concept of the 737's instrumentation system, and will invalidate the safety calculations on which certification is based, as well as possibly opening the doors to other failure modes.

I read your post and reflected about it. I see your point. We musn't have knee jerk reactions. But open your mind for a second:

Disregarding AOA for speed calculation (for example) will contradict which concept? Which safety calculation will it invalidate? Which other failure mode can you imagine if we do that? (note that the difference is about 5knt at takeoff speed between correct and bat**** crazy AOA, so the error between fixed assumed AOA value and real AOA may be as low as 2knts).

Advicing the crew of inability to trim at high speed will harm how? We think it is worthy to throw them an alarm about the AOA heater not heating, and keep the stick shaker all along, but we believe it would be too distracting to remind them that he will loose trim ability due to high speeds?

Those are the official excuses. I don't buy them. It was honestly a very reasonable system when safety was important but not as important as today, data buses did not exist and pilots came from the military.

Not any more.We have better tools now and even if we break concepts and need to recertify things, it is simply too easy today to fool a 737 computer.