PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2019, 01:04
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim1
I offer an explanation for the behaviour of the Left hand AoA indication throughout the flight.

If the vane had been lost the AoA sensor would become unbalanced about its usual axis or rotation. The internal balance weight** would then cause the axle to be subject to movement when the aircraft transitioned from +g to -g. +g would cause the indication of +AoA. (If I have got this the right way round
Excellent post, the tracking is almost too perfect to be believed at first.

This fits with the AoA heater fault as well, whatever happened caused 2 symptoms that are hard to explain except as physical damage to the sensor since the heater supply is independent of the resolver.

Someone commented that the pilots would have heard a bird strike, given the lack of a full CVR transcript we don't know if anything was audible.
I would suspect that the press conference statement of 'no foreign object' would suggest but not prove none was audible.

Anyone know if a departing vane by itself would cause a heater open?

One other observation is that the flight deck actions seem to be mostly normal until the AP disconnect, almost as though the stick shaker was activated but not working or noticed.
If missing from CVR that probably would have been noted.