PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 23:32
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVAT

Because Boeing stated MCAS inoperative with flaps extended. If crew extended flaps before reengaging electric stabilizer they could have prevented MCAS from operating. That would have allowed them to easily trim plane electrically. With known MCAS issue retracting flaps at 1000 agl seems too soon to me. At that altitude MCAS engagement more difficult to control.
Totally agree that, if the crew actually understood MCAS, and understood that they had a sensor or sensor signal failure that might cause it to activate, they would not have cleaned up when they did. I honestly don't think that the ET crew, or the vast majority of crews at that time, had anything like the understanding of MCAS that we have now, notwithstanding the Lion crash and the subsequent Boeing and FAA notices. At this point, I can't remember airspeed, etc. at the point they reengaged electric trim. I think it may have been high enough that extending flaps would not have come naturally to mind, but I'll have to look at the data again.