PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 17:42
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Organfreak
I've read the entire report and still see no mention of a bird (or other foreign object) strike to the left AoA sensor. Where did that tantalizing hint come from??? CVR?
Also, the media coverage (and even posts here) keep harping on the idea that all Boeing recovery procedures were followed, and yet they turned the trim cutout switches back ON in their desperation, which was certainly NOT part of the prescribed procedures. Seems as if that is some serious "dumbing-down" of the info.
The press conference statement was 'no foreign object' as a I recall. This is not the same as conclusively denying a bird strike.
The FDR data supports a sudden event on the AoA system with at least 2 hints that it was at the sensor:

1: Sudden jump to extreme non changing value until late in flight with partial freeing near end. Bird guts blew off?
2: Master caution anti ice caution and 'Primary AOA heat L' to off coincident with above. This is consistent with significant physical damage to AoA sensor causing an open in heater circuit.

I suspect there may be internal disagreement on the possible cause of this so they left it out but a bird strike is a strong contender in my view.
Could be the initial bird strike reports followed the above reasoning but may not be a way to dis/prove the theory.