PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 17:11
Lonewolf_50

Received 394 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Report, page 11 of 33, near bottom
At 05:41:46, the Captain asked the First-Officer if the trim is functional. The First-Officer has replied that the trim was not working and asked if he could try it manually. The Captain told him to try. *
At 05:41:54, the First-Officer replied that it is not working
This is a puzzling excerpt from the CVR. It appears that the FO had the right idea, in terms of getting control of the trim back via manual. By "not working" - I wonder what he meant.
(As I look at the Airspeed value, I keep thinking, will ask another question in a bit ...
The left indicated airspeed increased from approximately 305 kt to approximately 340 kt (VMO). The right indicated airspeed was approximately 20-25 kt higher than the left.
At 05:41:20, the right overspeed clacker was recorded on CVR. It remained active until the end of the recording.)

*As I read this, they had already put stab trim cut out.
At 05:40:35, the First-Officer called out “stab trim cut-out” two times. Captain agreed and First- Officer confirmed stab trim cut-out.
At 05:40:41, approximately five seconds after the end of the ANU stabilizer motion, a third instance of AND automatic trim command occurred without any corresponding motion of the stabilizer, which is consistent with the stabilizer trim cutout switches were in the ‘’cutout’’ position