PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 13:16
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmx
Also fair point. Maybe instead of "novel concept" I should have said "undesirable". Similar things are certainly not happening week to week. I'm not out to sink the boot into anyone at this stage. I'm keen to see the report and draw my own conclusions. My point at this stage is that the crew were obviously under stress, and the aircraft was working against them.
I think it is also important to note that both MAX crashes happened during day/VMC flight. I cannot imagine what it might be like to experience the same symptoms at night in IMC conditions.

Originally Posted by gmx
That's fair. I'll chase up a reference. Regardless, your characterisation of the FDR (that pilot-trim-up was involved in a losing tug-of-war with MCAS-trim-down) is incorrect. It is only the final 4 MCAS-commanded-nose-down trim commands that result in increasing nose-down attitude. The previous 21 such MCAS-commanded-nose-down trim commands are fully counteracted by the flight crew resulting in essentially level flight at 5000 feet for 6 continuous minutes.
Your overall description of JT610 is correct, but the airspeed was relatively low, so it may be premature to judge if electric trim would have had the same effects at speeds > 250kts, when both speed trim and horizontal stabiliser loading come into play.

FDR trace:

gmx The transition from captain to co-pilot is when the last four nose-up trim commands become short blips, instead of the long activation earlier in the FDR.

Last edited by GordonR_Cape; 4th Apr 2019 at 13:32.