PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 12:03
737mgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100% Agree

Originally Posted by mryan75
I'm sorry, but this is a complete hose job by the Ethiopian CAA authority (which has an annual budget of $89,000) and Ethiopian Airlines. "We did everything perfectly". Well RELEASE THE REPORT. Turning MCAS back on 4 times is not following the AD or the standard trim procedure. They're laying all the blame on Boeing, and then once 18,000 news articles have repeated that, they'll release the report tomorrow. Absolute crap.
I agree 100%. Can we actually read the report and judge for ourselves if the pilots achieved "full compliance with the emergency procedures." Also I find it incredible to read that some people here are suggesting it is too much of pilots to ask if they should trim out the aircraft with the electric trim switch first before setting the stab trim cut out switches to cut out. Boeing pointed out the need for this and it is also obvious that it isn't a good idea to set the stab trim cut out switches to cut out when the airplane is already in a nose dive at more than 250 knots (I am not saying that is what happened with ET 302). Of course in hindsight Boeing is largely to blame for these two accidents because apparently crews are too easily overwhelmed if MCAS malfunctions. Nonetheless, it doesn't make the aviation world safer to always claim the pilots couldn't have done anything. There are plenty of accidents in which a lack of flying skills is the main cause. Systems will continue to fail and then it will be up to the pilots to regain control of the airplane. If pilots are lacking in their ability to do so there needs to be just as much of a focus on dealing with that as there needs to be a focus on making systems less prone to fail.