PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO eyesight requirements
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 11:15
tf412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATCO eyesight requirements

If, during an EU Class 3 medical I were to be classed as unfit on the basis of my visual acuity, could I subsequently be classed as fit following laser eye surgery, provided that it brings my visual acuity into line with the requirements? Previously NATS stipulated that it was the pre-operative prescription which formed the basis for an assessment, but this doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere in the EU Class 3 regulations, so am I correct to deduce this rule no longer applies?

On page 26 of this PDF, it states that: "After refractive surgery, a fit assessment may be considered, provided that: (i) pre-operative refraction was not greater than +5 dioptres". However, that document is from 2011, and subclause (i) does not appear in the current regulations, leading me to believe the pre-operative prescription is no longer a determining factor in being assessed as fit or otherwise.

However, I would really appreciate it if someone who has first-hand knowledge of this could confirm one way or the other.