PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 10:25
Andy_G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. You can fly cheaply in Melbourne, there are plenty of planes, just not at the schools.

2. DA40 is inherently expensive, so is a late model c172, so is anything new, why? Glass cockpit and all the bells and whistles$$$$$. Going to go for APTL one day? stick to those planes. Want to go with just the PPL and actually fly just for the fun of flying? All you need is an ol’ C152/C172 with a six pack and an IPAD strapped to your leg. That about the only level of tech you’ll ever need. Don’t forget to actually look out the window from time to time, it’s actually quite nice.

3. AOPA is all about looking after us persons in aviation. They fight, and they fight hard. They are the squeaky wheel that goes in for the underdog. I pay my yearly subscription and all I expect from them is representation and advocacy on all our behalf. I grin when see those senate hearings of when the regulator is squirming in their seat and AOPA is kicking goals all over the place. Do you want to look after your flying future and rights?

4. Aero clubs. Why aren’t you in one already? Yes they are cheaper, much cheaper. Just think for a moment why that might be. Hell, I rent a C182q for 240 bucks an hour wet! Beat that! Also a C172n for 190 an hour!,(both planes equipped with gps and autopilot) I would bet the farm you’re getting charged more than that to circuit bash in a Foxbat at Moorabbin. Go to Point cook, Lilydale or Tyabb. Another bonus, the people you meet there are not trying to cut a hole in your pocket, in fact they’re like minded souls who are there to discuss aviation, enjoy the company and probably ask you to come flying.

5. I remember a fella like you when I was at point cook. He was concerned about the 25 mile thing and where he could go. Well, Point cook is just made for it. If you draw a circle measurement on google earth, you’ll be nicely surprised what you see. Eg, you can take off from point cook, turn east to the city, do a city orbit, then track south coastal, fly the beaches all the way down to the narrows at point Lonsdale, track via ocean grove beach, head over geelong, then pass overhead Avalon airport, and then strait in for a landing back at point cook. All about 110nm. That could be about a 1 ½ hour flight if you took your time and slowed it down a little bit. You could even take a passenger, heck why not ask a PPL to come along, and hey presto! You can leave that 25nm zone as long as they are PIC, but guess what- that is what aero clubs are all about, cost sharing and fun sharing. (tip- that is the one of the beat scenic flights you’ll ever do in your region).

6. Bob taits theory books and online practice tests. And join an aero club, other pilots will give you advice and help.