PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 06:12
lazyfrost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limping on my RPL

Hello,

I got my RPL several months ago and had intended to start working on my PPL late last year but due to some personal obligations, I had to postpone starting my navigation training several times. I'm currently scheduled to start that training later this month but again, due to other obligations pulling at my financial resources, I suspect that at some point I will have to pause training yet again thus stay on the RPL for longer. To try and keep myself proficient I've been going up with an instructor for a hour or so every couple weeks.

So I've got a couple of questions;
  1. How can a person like me with an RPL and without a navigation endorsement easily rent an aircraft in the Melbourne area (YMMB) at a decent price wet/dry? A quick search says most require PPL + some significant PIC time, both of which I don't have. Currently renting from my flying school but that is on the high side.
  2. Should I stick with the DA40 (w/G1000 glass cockpit/manual prop)? I currently fly the DA40 and despite loving the plane and finding it easy to handle, it is on the higher side from a cost perspective. The only other planes I've flown are Foxbats + Sling2s. I'd prefer not to fly light sport but I'm considering converting to another GA aircraft if the cost savings are significant enough. What GA aircraft would fit the bill?
  3. Should I join RaaAus or AOPA Australia? I was with RaaAus but I cancelled that membership as I wasn't finding a lot of value. I looked at AOPA as well and the benefits are vaguely listed on their site. Ultimately I'm looking at ways to keep up with what's happening in the aviation community and hopefully find some mentors as I slowly work towards my PPL.
  4. Is it worth joining aero clubs? If so which are the decent ones in Melbourne?
  5. In the event that I stay on an RPL for the rest of the year, are there great places to fly out of in the Melbourne area without busting the 25nm limit?
  6. Any recommendations for PPL practice exams?
Thanks for the help.