PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2019, 01:26
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
When we gave the Americans the flying tailplane, was it hinged at the front?

Pivoted at the rear, or nearer to, it is inherently unstable. The nut failure, or some such would mean it thwacking over full deflection, but it hasn't happened, has it? Okay, so we've not had a wing detaching g force that I can remember, but now we've got a new reason to pivot at the front. The loads would be smooth and progressive, and even if it had been cranked all the way, hand-winding it back would now be aided rather than opposed.

The first scenario we can discount because of history. The second issue a major change in design philosophy, but not a huge change in pilot handling and seemingly needed. I'd never dreamed of having to unload it in a series of switchback rides. It would be so easy to crank it with a front fulcrum and I'd guess a lot cheaper than gum's "rehanging the engines".

Where to put the Jack? I'd have cut a slot out of the rudder before I'd have put the fulcrum at the rear. But seriously, a horizontal jack would only need a redesigned lever and the loads would be less and far less consistent.