PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 23:24
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mentour Pilot latest video

Since this video may not be coming back I'll post a sort of transcript from memory since I was lucky enough to get to watch it. I'll try and just describe what I saw and keep my commentary/speculation to a minimum - in <italic>. Bear in mind this is a non-pilot observer's take on it from flaky memory:

There is a fair bit of intro talk then the sim.

They are in NG sim, not MAX, no surprise there. Mentour in left seat.

They start at low altitude, I think it was commented on, not at takeoff, I can't remember if they showed putting flaps up or started with flaps up and said it was just after flaps up.

No stick shaker, that I saw.
<presume means no elevator feel shift either, and that actual AOA error is not being simulated>

IAS disagree then simulated - or they just did the memory items, I didn't notice warning light (not that I would) and he didn't note it, there was an aural alarm but I think that was for AP disconnect
<I don't think this is exactly what the accident flights faced, they had shaker and IAS disagree from takeoff>

IAS disagree memory items, AP/AT OFF, FDs OFF, 75% N1, 4degrees

Throttles are pushed forward to get 75%, he comments that at low alt with denser air this is a lot of thrust and hence speed will increase

Trim runs, obviously sim doesn't have MCAS so not sure if they are simulating runaway or if he is doing it with the column switches

Comment is made that he was _expecting_ trim to run, because speed is changing, he says it will take a couple of cycles of fighting it with the switches before being definite that it is wrong

They discuss (he raises) that he is having flight control issue, they conclude it is trim that is the problem, they now run the stab trim runaway memory items finishing by hitting the switches. At this point he is clearly holding quite a bit of pressure on the column, but not obviously losing control of pitch

Now he points out that trim has only got down to (I think) 3 degrees on the indicator (zero being full nose down, I think) and that they are now going to "try something" - video captions say "don't try this at home", like we've all got a FFS in our shed or a 737 on the drive :-)

At this point the guy in the right seat uses the handle to wind the trim further _forward_. He stops when he clearly cannot wind it further - but they point out that it's still not at full nose down

Mentour is obviously struggling to keep the nose up at this point. I noticed he didn't seem to have the shoulder straps on (right seat did), possibly because he was frequently turning round to talk to the camera. That probably didn't help, but on the other hand he didn't have stick shaker or feel shift to cope with either.

Now, with Mentour pulling back, the right seat guy tries to wind the trim back with the handle - and he struggles to move it at all

They stop the sim, I think it was after stopping that he noted that at that point they were at 310 (maybe he said 340) knots.

I think there was then some further commentary, at one point I think he mentioned the rollercoaster to unload the stab and allow trimming, but commented that close to the ground the instinct is to pull back - I may be imagining that or remembering it from another video though.

<
And that was about it. I can try to answer questions on the video if anyone has any. The eye-opener for me wasn't the force on the control column (which was held anyway), it was that the trim couldn't be moved, in either direction. From somewhere I had got the impression that those wheels had a lot of leverage, due to the gearing, which was why a lot of turns would be required, but it seems that a lot of turns would be required and a gorilla to make them...
>