PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 20:02
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CT:
It is a shame that the Mentour Pilot video has been disabled, I managed to watch it and it showed what happens when the IAS disagree and runaway trim checklist are followed in the (presumed) ET MCAS case. Overall fairly similar to your scenario.

The pilots in the sim calmly and methodically followed the checklists in what I would call a demonstrating or teaching mode, certainly not stressed or surprised.
Don't believer they even had a stick shaker going.

Even so they ended up in a state where manual trim inputs were physically close to impossible after electrical trim cutout due to the air speed.
My takeaway was that unless the pilot trimmed close to neutral before electrical tim cutout there was no way to manually trim.
Note that this should be possible (as shown in both lion air flights) since pilot trim cancels (for 5 seconds) MCAS trim actions.

One other observation from the video is that from the jumpseat camera point of view the trim wheel action is very obvious. I suspect it might be much less so for stressed pilots trying to make sense of the situation. This may be why the jumpseat pilot was able to save the penultimate Lion air flight.

Gums: If you are referring my post re making a full FBW 737, that was meant as a thought experiment on automation more than a practical suggestion, if for no other reason that it 737 FBW would certainly require more than a slideware conversion course.