PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 15:17
Albino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonR_Cape
Sources differ, and that was the advice from Boeing and the FAA (see my earlier post). There is a strong suggestion that the electric trim was intentionally restricted in power, specifically to prevent runaway nose up trim. This meant that overpowering MCAS this way was not possible, though it might have made a few degrees difference before they hit the cutoff switches.
If I've read your post correctly I think you are getting confused with the wording. The bulletin (the one I read anyway) specifically states that MCAS can be stopped and reversed with use of the electric trim switches on the control column. The note in the Operating Instructions implies that the electric trim should be used to neutralise the pitch force required to maintain controlled flight - then placing the stab trim switches to cutout. So position the stabilizer exactly where you want it and then cut power to the system.

If the information leaked is accurate and the system was behaving as Boeing expected it to in the bulletin, this was misunderstood by the pilots.