PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 08:25
EIFFS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fgrieu
So according to the WSJ (paywalled, but regurgitated by Reuters) the pilots of ET302 applied the 2018-23-51 EAD to some degree, flipped the trim switches off, could not correct the nose down condition (or is it move the trim wheel nose up), then flipped the trim switches back on (contrary to the EAD), to no avail.

I ask (because I don't know):
- How hard it is to manually trim nose up, depending on airspeed, current elevator position, AoA..? I have read about an elevator blowback issue, but do not know the details.
- If standard simulator training prepares to that procedure, complete with simulation of how hard it is to turn the wheel. This is critical: If pilots are not well trained to trim up by manual action on the wheel, then mandating them to make it the only way to trim up was nonsense.
once you trip the cut out switches you remove ALL electric trim, whilst there is no NNC that directs you switch them back on again it would be the only way to regain electric trim, by that stage they were probably point at the ground and assuming pulling in the yoke for dear life, the problem is that if you have full back pressure the electric stops anyway, it will restart trim if you release the back pressure but that’s counter intuitive when pointing at the ground.