PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 12:42
ProPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Wasn't Turkey supposed to be doing the heavy maintenance on European F-35's?
They need something to maintain first. Turkey was supposed to produce quite a few parts for F-35. I'm sure there are a lot of American companies who can do that instead, but it'll take even more time and money. I don't think Pentagon want to wait longer or spend more.

And Pentagon is not the only organization that's been waiting for the F-35 for too long. UK built an entire aircraft carrier to use F-35's. Is it possible to requip it somehow for a different type?

That's a real disaster for the project. And considering the latest Markel speeches in Germany, it may be a huge disaster for the NATO, too. Not that anyone still needs it, but it's also true that nobody wants to be the one dismantling it.

Erdogan, however, is not short of choice of modern fighters. Apart from the obvious European choices - Rafale, Typhoon, oldie but goldie Tornado, Grippen-E - his good relationships with Russia also opens Su-35 for him. And that's the best choice by far - F-35 is not as much better as it is much more expensive - and Turkey can easily get their hands on French and Malaysian electronics Sukhoi uses for their export fighters. I'm not current on Turkey's relations with Israel, but if they are any good, Israel makes the best radars and they have plenty of experience installing them on Su-fighters.

Has Pentagon made the biggest mistake in its history?