PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 09:52
Antonio Montana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KT1988,
First of all, I have no idea what Ryanair are looking for in a new pilot.
As such I cannot comment on what you should or should not do in the Sim check.

However, just to throw a DODAR or NITS in without any thought, does not make any sense.

In the real world however...

If you have a Engine Failure, FMC Failure, IRS Failure, Decompression or some other Aircraft system fail then yes you should complete a DODAR, at the right time, when is the right time, well that's the big question. How I do it, say we have an engine seize, after the aircraft is in a safe state, Memory Items complete, QRH Engine Severe damage checklist completed and we in a holding position, then if time allows do a DODAR. Make a plan, get some information, decide on a plan of action.

Example,
Diagnosis: What happened, well we have Zero N1, Zero N2 still got EGT the aircraft pulled to the left, we have a fuel imbalance with more fuel in the left tank. I think we have had No1 engine Seize.
Options: Carry on, Divert, return to Departure Aerodrome.
Decision: Return to Departure ( in this example)
Actions: We need weather for the Departure Aerodrome, tell ATC the plan, set up the FMC/ Instruments/ Nav Aids, landing distance, autobrake setting, Fuel Balance, etc and Brief, talk to the company (if able), NITS, talk to passengers, One engine inoperative landing checklist.
Review: Is the decision correct? Is the Decision still valid, what do we still have to do.

As you can see this is not just a simple process,
Next is the NITS:

Nature: We have had an engine fail, it is under control
Intentions: We will return to Departure Airfield
Time: I expect we will make an approach at .......
Special Instructions: This will be a precautionary landing so no expectation to evacuate once we have stopped. We will be followed by the Fire Engines to stand, this is normal

The Senior should read this back to you.
Then make a PA to the Pax.

I can assure you the above example does work, I have had to use it more then once.

I suggest if you are offered a Interview at any airline with a Sim check, try to talk to others who have been offered jobs to see what they did and what they feel is expected of you.

As I said on a previous post, Keep It Simple, you will be fine.