PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2019, 02:59
golder

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KenV
Umm, no. The F-15EX will be largely based on the F-15SA, which has fly by wire, a new cockpit, a lighter yet stronger wing with two additional hardpoints, new computers, and lots lots more. The biggest difference will be putting in USAF spec datalinks and comms, and qualifying for new long range air-to-air missiles. So its costs are sufficiently well known that Boeing has offered a firm fixed price contract with a price well below what the F-35 is promised to cost after the next full rate production program. And since its flying now its flight hour costs are also known and are well below the F-35's flight hour costs.
I have nothing against Boeing being put on a life support drip and honing their skills in the fast jet market. I also think Boeing should have got a large chunk of the F-35. It's not healthy for LM to be top dog elephant.
Looking at the price of the fa-18 and the cost difference to the f-15. I doubt they will get it below the f-35. Even taking into account that the fa-18ef and f-15 are at an end of run, where a lot of non recurring costs have mostly been met. The FA-18EF with pods, is bumping at the F-35 cost now and I really doubt they can build a mission ready F-15EX for less than the FA-18EF. The numbers aren't adding up. Then add in that they are saying less than 50% of the CPFH of the F-35 and that comes in at around $13-15k and well below the FA-18EF. That is a big ask.

There was talk at the time of the F-15SA being speced to satisfy Israel. I think the SA is a shell that the US will need to build upon. There are going to be significant development costs. I haven't seen that they have locked in the specs. A fixed price already? They may take an initial loss, as they did on the tankers. Do you know what the cost is fixed at? I couldn't google it, other than it's less than the F-35 and therefore less than the mission ready FA-18EF.

Last edited by golder; 30th Mar 2019 at 03:15.